Category Tscl In The News Page 11
Get the Revised Retirement Newsletter .Require Medicare beneficiaries to pay a higher portion of the Part B premium. Premiums for Part B cover physician and hospital outpatient services. The premiums of most seniors, those with incomes under ,000, equal 25 percent of Medicare's total cost of services, and the federal government covers the other 75 percent of the cost. This proposal would require seniors to pay 35 percent instead - like higher-income seniors do now. The 2010 Medicare Trustee report estimates that Part B premiums at the 35% level would be 9.30 per month in 2012. .Additionally, in less than two years, the Social Security Disability Insurance trust fund will become insolvent, and approximately 11 million beneficiaries will be faced with a 20 percent cut in monthly benefits. Many lawmakers are hoping to divert funds from the retirement trust fund in order to address the funding shortfall, but according to our recent survey results, less than 1 percent of seniors support this method. Instead, TSCL will be advocating for policy solutions that would tighten the eligibility requirements for the Disability Insurance program and ramp up efforts to fight fraud, waste, and abuse. … Continued
November 2012 Pharmacy Choice
Passage of legislation in Congress is more complicated than most people realize. The Constitution allows each chamber of Congress to set its own rules for getting it done. .That leaves Grassley with a ticking clock to build enough support for his proposal to get it through the Senate and to convince House leaders to take it up as well. House leadership has its own signature drug pricing measure that is closer to Trump's own order than Grassley's bill. .The total revenues in the sample could pay the Social Security benefits of 897 retirees, with an average monthly benefit of ,400, for an entire year. Or, that revenue could be used to provide a modest boost to the COLA of 448,560 retirees in the first year, by tying the annual inflation adjustment to the Consumer Price Index for the Elderly (CPI-E). … Continued
TSCL is working for legislation that would provide greater retirement security for older Americans as well as strengthening financing for Social Security. To learn more, visit . .A retirement coach might be helpful, but the fees can be pricey. A retirement coach differs from financial advisors by helping clients with nonfinancial social issues you need to consider in retirement. These include finding the right type of housing, figuring out Social Security and Medicare benefits, transitioning into second careers or volunteer work, and staying engaged with others in the community. A retirement coach will help you think through what you want and help you develop plans to attain those goals. A coach can also advise clients on managing aging parents or younger family members and provide help for maintaining a healthy state of mind. .TSCL's Board of Trustees Meets with Members of Congress .The ,400 stimulus checks will help millions of retirees to cope at a time when Social Security checks don't buy as much due to low COLAs while food and energy costs are climbing. The Senior Citizens League supports boosting Social Security benefits and tying the annual COLA to a consumer price index that more closely reflects the spending patterns of older Americans. To learn more and participate in surveys visit . .The U.S. depends on China for thousands of chemicals needed to make prescription drugs. That's because it turns out that pharmaceutical companies have outsourced our generic medicine manufacturing to China. .Source: The Federal Government's Long-Term Fiscal Outlook, Government Accountability Office, October 201"Monitoring Medicare+Choice, What Have We Learned?" Mathematica Policy Research, Inc., August, 2004. .Interestingly, the big drug manufacturers do not like the new rule. A spokesperson for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA), the drug industry's largest trade group, said the rule is "unconscionable" for making it "harder for patients to use manufacturer cost-sharing assistance to lower their out-of-pocket costs for medicines." .Your total earnings, including your earnings now until you stop working. .As outrageous as it is, there are reports of scams involving phony appointments for the COVID vaccine. People have received emails, phone calls or text messages supposedly from local health departments offering to put them on a vaccine registration list that doesn't really exist and then charging them for appointments.